Wednesday

Damn hippie is at it again

The neighbors are putting up a new fence: all stone and mortar, very big, very expensive. Mom erected a fence of evergreens between their yard and ours years ago, but I guess they want something a bit more solid. Something a bit more true and timeless than life. Something like stones and mortar.
It seems that life consists primarily of building barriers and tearing them down, whether they be between ages or races or genders or cliques. Why are we so obsessed with keeping others out? Why do we not build pathways instead of walls?
I, for one, intend to seek out the weaknesses in your walls and drag them down. Brick. By. Brick.

2 comments:

James said...

"Good fences make good neighbours."
Sorry. I couldn't resist. I had to sit English Lit exams last week.

But yeah I agree with you. Walls are bad.

Anonymous said...

Its funny, the day after I wrote this we had to read that! Made me feel a lot less original.